Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Fork-and-Knife Reuben

This post will be parts 2 and 3 for my St. Paddy's Day meal, which I'm actually eating tonight.  My dinner of choice is the Fork-and-Knife Reuben out of American Vegan Kitchen. Last night, I sliced the Savory Seitan ball into thin slices.  I made the marinade and put the seitan in it to marinate overnight and all day long today.
The seitan was ready to cook when I got home tonight.  First, I made the sauce and put it in a bowl in my fridge to chill while I cooked the seitan.  I have a huge skillet that accommodated all of the pieces of seitan since I was only making a half batch.
After it had heated through for 7 or 8 minutes, I added the marinade and cooked it until the marinade was almost gone.  I didn't have any rye bread, so I used double fiber bread.  I spread Dijon mustard on one slice, added a layer of seitan, added a layer of sauerkraut, and then added a drizzle of the sauce.  The recipes only calls for the sauce on the outside of the sandwich once it's done, but I HAD to put a generous drizzle on top of the sauerkraut.
Next, I popped the sandwich in a parchment bag and put it in my Rocket Grill to grill for about 2 minutes.  What came out was perfection!
I drizzled more sauce on the finished sandwich, grabbed a fork and knife, a cold beer, and sat down to enjoy my creation ... compliments of American Vegan Kitchen and Tamasin Noyes, of course! :)  This is a most excellent cookbook.  I have loved everything I've made out of it. I highly recommend it.

4 comments:

  1. That sandwich looks fantastic! I make it my business to try any vegan reuben that I can get my hands on. That definitely looks like one worth trying! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That reuben sandwich was fantastic! :::smile::: I had made enough to have one on Wednesday and then again on Friday while my sons had pizza. I've been planning to make it for months, but finally got around to it. The sauce is very good. The recipe calls for raw cashews, but I didn't have any, so I used raw walnut pieces. I would put that sauce on any burger. If you try it, I think you will definitely enjoy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy! Looks like you had an awesome St. Paddy's meal! ;-)

    Blessings, Debra
    Raw Vegan Diet

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Debra ... I did have a pretty awesome sandwich. I'll definitely make it again.

    ReplyDelete