Monday, August 22, 2011

A Truckload of Roasted Veggies

I've had a weird diet today.  I've been using up veggies from my CSA boxes.  For lunch, I had a spinach salad with diced zucchini, cucumber, kohlrabi, purple bell pepper, and a tomato.  It was a huge salad, so I saved half of it for tomorrow.  Tonight, I decided it was time to roast some veggies.
I cut up probably a dozen small gold beets, a head of cauliflower, a big sweet potato, and 2 medium sized white potatoes.  I tossed them in a mixture of 3 tbsp.extra virgin olive oil, 1 tsp. cumin, 1 tsp. hot curry powder, 1/2 tsp. Spike seasoning, and 1 tbsp. lemon juice.  I roasted them for 30 minutes at 400º.  They weren't done, which didn't surprise me because I had so many veggies in the pan.  I stirred them and put them in to roast for 20 more minutes.  They still weren't done to my liking, but they were drying out and sticking to the pan.  ACK!  I drizzled a little bit more olive oil on them and sprinkled them with red cayenne pepper and smoked paprika.  I gave them a good stir, turned the oven temp down to 350º and cooked them for 20 more minutes. 
Finally, the veggies were done to my satisfaction.  They have just a hint of a "kick."  These are very tasty.  I'm glad I got a significant portion of my veggies on hand either eaten, ready to eat, or roasted.  I will be eating these roasted veggies over the next day or two.  I think I'll have some of them in a wrap for my supper tomorrow for a little variety.

6 comments:

  1. Super yum. My hubby would nearly kill me if I roasted anything in this nearly 100 degree weather!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear that. Luckily, we have been having cooler weather lately with highs in the upper 70's/lower 80's. Although, tomorrow it's supposed to hit 90º. I won't be turning on my oven to 400º then. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aww poor Kobe, yeh, You should definitely think about taking her swimming. I can't believe how brilliant it is for Cecil! One minute of swimming is worth a whole lot of walking, but without any stress on the joints, it's fantastic. The lady who runs the centre was really careful with easing him into it steadily and making sure not to over do it as it can be super tiring for them. But you should go for it, I bet she'd have a hoot!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  4. She would have a blast. Kobe is my water lover. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your Roasted Veggies look fantastic! I want to do this also. Though I have to leave out the iron rich ones like beets. I have to avoid iron. But this looks so good, can hardly wait until pay day to pick some up. Love your Yorkie!! He is so cute want him to come and live in VA with me!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The roasted veggies are great. Roasting any veggie is my favorite way to make them now. I don't normally eat beets, only the yellow/gold beets. Other than my CSA box, I don't see the yellow variety, only the red variety. I have very bad memories of those when I had to eat them as a kid. bah! :) Thanks for the compliment on Skittles. She was a wonderful dog and companion.

    ReplyDelete